What is a School Council?
A school council is a group of pupils who are elected to represent the views of all children to improve their school. Each year voting takes place for the children who have been campaigning to be elected to the School Council.
What do we do?
- A school council meets to discuss and sort out problems and ideas. These may include school lunches, behaviour or ideas for fundraising events.
- Members of the school council are responsible for carrying out the ideas that have been agreed, such as planning charity events and putting forward views of other children in the school!
What makes a good School Councillor?
Being a school councillor is a very responsible position as you have to have a lot of sensible ideas and sometimes have to do things in your lunch times. However, it is your chance to play an important part in our Bradfield Dungworth community. You may feel a little nervous about putting yourself up for election but it is exciting to see what happens when people share their ideas so be brave!
School Council Successes
This year we are focusing on achieving the Bronze Eco School Award. We have started by making sure we turn off the lights and the computer projector when we leave the classroom.
We also organised a very successful children in Need day. We dressed up in our pyjamas and organised colouring competitions for KS1 and KS2.
- We carried out a pupil questionnaire to find out children's views about our school. We discussed the findings and what the school could do about them.
- We organised a Comic Relief Talent Show. Mckenzie and Bobby were Ken and Bob - our version of Ant and Dec whilst William, Willow and Jacob had the buzzers and judged the acts. All the school had wacky hair and enjoyed a non- uniform day.
- We raised £44 for the school by organising a Second Hand book sale on World Book day
- Our school Council are our 'Healthy Minds Champions'. They have talked about how we can make our school even happier and suggested ways we can let our teachers know if we are feeling sad!
- School Council organised our Children in Need day. We dressed up in pyjamas and onesies, bought ducks and watched the duck race and held a Bring and Buy sale. we raised £360 for Children in Need
- School councilors met with the other school councils from Oughtibridge, Loxley, Wharncliffeside and Stannington to discuss transition to 'big' Bradfield Secondary School
- School councilors led an assembly on litter to encourage children to keep the local area attractive
- The school council organised Sports Relief in 2017-18 and they raised £500. The most popular activity was throwing wet sponges at the teacher.
- 4 school councillors visited Oughtibridge School and met with other school councillors from our family of schools. They created art work based on the world cup and gave a presentation about some of the countries represented in Russia 2018